In 1961, we started as a community fund to address the needs of those in Geary County. As time went on, we transformed into a local affiliate of United Way World Wide. We are a local non-profit chapter of United Way that is led by a caring and engaged board of local community members. We strive to advocate and provide support to those in need in our community. The support we receive stays in Geary County, Chapman, and Enterprise.
So what does United Way of Junction City/Geary County do to support the community? We have several direct service programs that provide support to individuals, schools, and more.
- Stuff the Bus - 1-month long fundraiser and collection for school supplies for children in USD 475, St. Xavier, and USD 473. We collect over 7,000 items distributed to the schools for the students. Over 30 volunteers provided over 500 hours to collect, count, sort, and distribute the supplies.
- Adopt-A-Backpack – income-based program. Approved students will receive a full backpack that has all of their specific school needs. (3rd-grade boy, attending Washington Elementary, favorite color/character).
- VITA – Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program. Trained professional volunteers provide tax services to those in our community and no cost. This program saves approximately $75,000 a year in filing fees.
- Dolly Parton Imagination Library – Children birth to age 5, can receive monthly books directly to their homes at no cost to the family. Currently, we have over 800 children signed up (412 Ft. Riley, 317 Junction City, 13 Milford, 46 Chapman, and 22 Enterprise). $25 can pay for an entire year for one child.
- Information Referral – We provide guidance and information for those in need of services. We average over 50 calls a week and help connect them to the needed resources.
United Way of Junction City/Geary County also supports 9 different agencies within Geary County. These agencies provide services to residents in Geary County, your neighbors, family members, friends, classmates, or co-workers. We support programs that cover all ages, financial backgrounds, ethnicities, religious beliefs, and cultures. Our partner agencies are
- CASA 8th Judicial District
- Crisis Center
- Food Pantry of Geary County
- Girl Scouts of Northeast Kansas & Northwest Missouri
- Junction City Family YMCA
- Kansas Legal Services
- Pawnee Mental Health Services
- JC Pacesetters/Special Olympics
- The Salvation Army
For the United Way of Junction City/Geary County to continue providing services and assistance to the community, we need your help. We cannot do this without YOU!
It is not enough to just feed a hungry family or protect a child from violence; we need to change the conditions that led to hunger and violence in the first place. We work with businesses, government, schools, faith groups, the media, individual community members, and nonprofits - because it takes the whole community to get the results we need. We believe in advancing the common good through a strategic focus on the building blocks of a good life - education, financial stability, health, and basic needs. The ability to affect positive change begins with a single act: your decision to give in a way that matters to you. Whether money, time, or your voice; your action is combined with those of your neighbors, and together with the power to make an impact is multiplied. The generosity of our donors enables us to provide grants for outcome-based programs and collaborative projects that address core needs and achieve lasting, measurable results.
Together, we can make a difference!
Together we can LIVE UNITED!